Friday, November 20, 2009

I wanted to love you, but sorry I only like you

When you are in love, research has shown that a large part of the cerebral cortex which is responsible for judgement and reasoning is deactivated to the point where you do stupid things. It can be argued that the same thing happens when one is inebriated. In my case it's just my innate weirdness gene and neither of the aforementioned that made me decide to grow my own mint for the sole purpose of making my own mojitos.

mint chocolate chip ice-cream

Years ago, my good friend D introduced me to the mojito and I fell in love. Unfortunately, it isn't very often that I find a place that serves them because fresh mint is only sporadically available here - if at all.

mint chocolate chip ice-cream

Finding a mint plant was easy. The garden shops have a good supply of a few varieties, spearmint, chocolate mint, and ordinary mint. Growing it is not so hard. It doesn't do well in our full Caribbean sun but seems to prefer filtered light. The good news is that if you don't have a green thumb it bounces back easily from periods of drought i.e when you have forgotten to water it.

Photobucket

Why then is this a post about ice-cream and not a highball glass, beaded with condensation from a lovely cold mojito? In short, dear friends, I do not own a muddler. In the event that you even care about my mojito dilema let me describe a muddler for you. As much as I am tempted to use the term to describe a particular Minister who sought to defend his Ministry's purchase of a 2 million dollar flag - a muddler is not a politician.

Our Minister of Sport recently attempted to clarify for the public that the flag only cost $18,000 while the design and engineering brought the total cost to 2 million dollars. The design and engineering of the flagpole should not be considered a part of the cost of the flag. That was a separate cost entirely. Mr. Minister further muddled the issue by suggesting that citizens should not protest the asstronomical cost (not a typo). Instead we should rejoice with the national pride that this flag was meant to inspire. Befuddled are we?

Let me clarify.

This is a muddler
(Sis, you may consider gifting me with one;-)





This is NOT a muddler (though it may behave like one)
Photobucket

As much as one is tempted to think otherwise - a muddler is in fact a doohicky that one uses to bruise the leaves and release the oils of the mint into your drink.

In my quest to become my own mojito barrista, I discovered that chopping the mint leaves in a blender does not work. Additionally, your loved ones don't tell you that you have leaf bits stuck between your teeth, preferring instead to make jokes to get you to smile even more.


Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice-cream
Photobucket

2 1/2 cups light cream, half-and-half or milk (whole or skim), or a combination

1/2 cup sugar

Pinch of salt

3 cups of fresh mint leaves (not stems), rinsed, drained, packed

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 tablespoons cornstarch

3 quarter cups chocolate chips

1. Put the mint leaves in a heavy saucepan with 2 cups cream, half-and-half or milk, in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until just steaming (do not let boil), remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 30 minutes. Reheat the mixture until steaming add the sugar and salt. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 more minutes.

2. Strain the milk cream mixture into a bowl, pressing against the mint leaves with a wooden spoon to get the most liquid out of them. Return the milk cream mixture to the saucepan. In a bowl, blend cornstarch with remaining 1/2 cup cream, half-and-half or milk; there should be no lumps. Add cornstarch mixture to pot. Cook, stirring, until it starts to thicken and barely reaches a boil, about 5 minutes. Immediately reduce heat to very low and stir for 5 minutes or so until thick. Stir in vanilla extract.

3. If mixture has lumps, strain it into a bowl. Chill until cool, When cooled, pour into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add chocolate chips according to the manufacturers instructions - usually in the last 10 - 5 mins of churning.

Yield: 1 generous pint.


Photobucket

For the above recipe I consulted with my BIFFL (Best Internet Friend's for life) Mark Bittman, David Lebovitz and Elise Bauer. Awwright, Awwright so these people don't actually know that I exist but I visit their sites often enough. Isn't it strange that social networking has in a sense legitimized stalking? Anyway my BIFFLS inspire me with their recipes and I am in awe of their curiosity about and skill with food. These guys have such a large following of fans, that I am a little bit afraid to be anything less than adoring of their use of fresh mint in ice-cream. Still, friends tell friends the truth don't they? So here is how our conversation went....

Elise :The taste of the ice cream using fresh mint really is out of this world, so if you can get your hands on fresh mint, I highly recommend using it for this ice cream.

Wizzy: Elise, you know you are my girl and fresh ingredients are the best but the next time I'm going for the peppermint oil.

David : Strain the mint-infused mixture through a mesh strainer into a medium saucepan (the milk will be a lovely shade of emerald).

Wizzy: Dav-ee-d, Mah boy! Pants on Fire, NO IT WILL NOT!

David: W - ee -zy, I don't want to say that you are culinary challenged so I will suggest instead that maybe your mint was chlorophyll challenged.

Robin Lee: It couldn't only be for me that eating fresh mint ice cream killed the desire to eat the regular stuff that I grew up on ever again.

Wizzy: Girlfriend, I tried to go there with you and David. You are my BIFFL after all. Sadly it was not to be. Fresh mint tastes like grass. Fresh minty grass but there is the unmistakable grass flavour which in my very unimportant opinion, is just so wrong in any dessert.

Mark: Yield, 1 generous pint.

Wizzy
: Thanks, but I'll not be taking you up on that offer for ice-cream at your house. Your cornstarch ice-cream base has made me a star but when talking ice-cream, a pint cannot be described as generous. It's just a scant two cups, man.

19 comments:

  1. Nice post! J'ai la menthe dans mon jardin ... Vous avez La Chaux certainely (et rhum) ... Buvons un (minerai sûrement plus) mojitos ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ice cream looks good- but I'd rather have had the mojito. I don't have a muddler either, but use the back of a wooden spoon. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny - I was going to try this recipe as I have tons of mint I don't know what to do with..

    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mint_chocolate_chip_ice_cream/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi girl - I have tons of mint here, so i was planning on trying this version http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mint_chocolate_chip_ice_cream/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dominique - Apportez la menthe! J'apporterai le rhum. Rencontrez-moi à la plage sous les cocotiers - ching ching - à votre santé:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara - thanks for the tip.

    Dee - Mojitos are the best use of that mint! You should still try the ice-cream. Everyone's taste is different Because it did not appeal to me, doesn't mean you won't like it. Maybe 'grass' flavour was a bit strong. It actually tasted like green tea and mint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize the recipe-link I posted was virtually identical to yours (I thought I was suggesting an alternative!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only fresh grass I like is a bit of weed in my choco-chocolate chunk muffins (baked fresh in Amsterdam of course!) I do not like mojitos for that very same reason - tastes like grass. And thank you ever so much for clarifying the definition of muddler! filarious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The other day when I was in the US I wanted to get myself a muddler but then I thought - really Cynthia, how many cocktails do you make that you need a muddler and besides, the handle of your wooden spoon has been doing the job so well (lol).

    I heard about y'all expensive flag and flag pole, such pride! The Minister is right :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a muddler either! I'd rather have the ice cream! Home-made is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love mojitos but I haven't quite thought of it in ice cream form. Nope. I don't have a muddler either. Go figure. But I do have mint that I can't get rid of on my patio. I wonder what that means? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mojito and fresh mint ice cream is to die for!! Great recipe for our coming summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, really my kind of ice cream! Totally mouthwatering. Gee... I'm on diet lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to make ice cream but don't have a machine! Mint chocolate was one of my favorites growing up, still is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, mint ice cream makes me go weak in the knees! Though I hate choosing favorites, this flavor would definitely be up in the top three. This looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, Bravo, you win the little advent calendar .. can you send me your address off-blog, so I can send it to you .. Good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love, love mint chocolate chip and your version looks incredible. I also just got a first peak at your blog and cannot wait to check out the other posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the funniest thing I've read in a looong time. Thanks for the belly laugh!

    Kate, who agrees that a pint is NOT generous...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hehe you are too funny! Chlorophylly challenged? Not your mint surely! It looks delicious though and in this heat I'd surely give up something important for a scoop! :P

    ReplyDelete