Sunday, October 17, 2010

Southwestern Shredded Beef

Southwestern Beef Casserole

One of my favourite cooking mantras is cook once, eat twice. So you can be sure the minute I saw Southwestern beef wraps over on Our Best Bites, I was all over this recipe. The plan was to cook a lot (once) so that there would be leftovers to make tacos ( thus eating twice).

My plan was a colossal failure. There were no leftovers because certain individuals seemed to think that eating twice meant that they should go back for second helpings. I have no real evidence but I do I have my suspicions that some may have even stretched it to eating thrice. Consider yourselves warned.


Originally this was a slow-cooker meal from Mc Cormick. I have adapted it for the pressure cooker.

Southwesternroastbeef


Southwestern Shredded Beef

INGREDIENTS

2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch wedges

3 cloves garlic

2 1/2 pounds boneless chuck roast,

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon  cumin, ground

1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (or 2 teaspoons culantro)

3/4 teaspoon salt

5 Trinidad pimento peppers or substitute with 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

6 diced tomatoes

*For extra heat, use spicy salsa and/or add 1 chopped jalapeno pepper to slow cooker when adding green pepper


DIRECTIONS

1. Put onions and whole garlic cloves at the bottom of the pressure cooker.


2. Mix chili powder, cumin, cilanto and salt in small bowl. Rub seasoning mixture all over meat. Place meat on onions and garlic in the pressure cooker. Top with green pepper and diced tomatoes. Cover.


Consult your pressure cooker manual on how long to cook the beef as the following instructions may not work for your brand of cooker.

3. Cook on high until desired pressure is acheived (about 5 mins). Turn  heat down to med - low and cook for 20 minutes.

4.When the 20 minutes are up, release the pressure from the pot according to the manufacturer's instructions. This takes about 5 mins.

5. Shred beef with 2 forks. At this point you will find that there is still a lot of liquid in the pot. You can drain the liquid of or f cook further in the uncovered pressure cooker to thicken gravy.


Serving Tip: Serve with rice,  fried plantains and bean salad

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. this sounds great - I am not always a beef-eater, but I am partial to it cooked in ways like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bad news is that you didn't have any leftovers. The good news is that no leftovers means that it was too delicious to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm what a great flavorful meal. My bf would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photograph makes it clear why there were no leftovers. It was mouthwatering good. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's some good-looking beef, but i'd be lying if i said that bean salad didn't hold my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds and looks wonderful...! Great presentation too :)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all. Grace I should have linked it but you can find that salad here http://breakfastlunchdinnerandpunch.blogspot.com/2010/08/black-bean-and-corn-salad-with-lime.html They go together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure that was delicious, it looks very pretty and colorful (but I dont eat beef and never have...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'd be in the camp of the "Certain People" this looks amazing, and just sounds so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this lookjs very tempting to me !!!
    Pierre de Paris

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks as though it is packed with flavor. My family loves these flavors and I'm certain there wouldn't be any leftovers at our house, either.

    Family Fresh Cooking and I would love if you linked up this recipe & any 2 other entrees in this weeks Get Grillin’ event posted on both of our blogs. We have a fabulous Ile De France Cheese giveaway. You just need to link up on one site. http://bit.ly/jjM7Qg

    ReplyDelete