Saturday, October 6, 2012

There is an apple dumpling for that!


This recipe comes from my friend Debbie who shared it with me about a year ago. I am kicking myself right now for not having dropped everything and making it immediately. Learn from my mistake people. 


LEARN!



Seriously STOP reading the rest of this post. Just skip to the recipe at the end (I won't mind),  and go make this. 




Fair warning: this is the least pretty dessert you are ever likely to see. 





Not to worry, the aroma alone will have you shoveling this into your mouth too quickly for you to even want to stop and appreciate with your eyes. 


I learned some things from making it so many times in the past month.



What!!!  I was doing 'research'.....See, this is me trying and failing to make it look glam.




Luckily I learned that my stomach doesn't care for pretty pictures, nor does my face apparently since I stuck it in these dumplings almost before they came out of the oven. 

I learned that my tongue can curse a blue streak when food that is one degree less the surface of the sun is placed on it. 

There are days that just suck and on those days I learned that apple dumplings have superpowers. 

It's true. 

We all know that that no matter how well you plan for life, no matter how many random acts of kindness or how much positive energy you fling out into the Universe, none of it is any guarantee that good karmic vibes will boomerang its way back to you.  

The truth of it is, random shit happens to good people resulting in days when the letter L in your good luck turns into a gigantic letter F. 

Are you getting that its been a somewhat trying week for me?

Everyone has bad days. I am sure you have them too. Isn't it good then to know that there is an apple dumpling - preferably an apple dumpling topped with a huge scoop of dulce de leche ice-cream - for days like that? 

For those I-just-can't-deal-with-that-right-now-moments, what matters is that I've got my favourite song on continuous loop ....this


and friends who pass along recipes like this:-) 







Apple Dumplings
Makes 16 dumplings

Ingredients

3 Granny smith Apples ( peeled cored and sliced into about 8 pieces)
3 Gala apples (peeled cored and sliced)

2 (10oz cans) refrigerated crescent roll dough OR
shortcut pastry dough for two 9" inch pies  OR

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup water
1  12 fl oz  can Angostura Lemon Lime and Bitters ( or Mountain Dew)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two  9 X 13 inch baking dish

Peel, core and slice apples and set aside. 

Roll pastry dough into a large rectangle and cut into 16 squares.

Place 2 or 3 apple pieces (1 gala and 1) granny smith in each square  Fold and pinch edges to seal.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the nutmeg, sugar, water and cinnamon. Pour over the apple dumplings. Pour Angostora Lemon, Lime bitters over the dumplings.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

Like I said I have been experimenting with this recipe. This is not the exact recipe that was given to me by my friend but somehow I'll always think of it as her recipe.

  Photobucket


11 comments:

  1. I can smell the aroma now- its breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh -la la -I might have to make some this weekend!! Drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your post title--so clever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a similar recipe and I've always wanted to try it. As much as I rarely eat raw apple I absolutely love it in desserts. Seems like I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love any kind of apple dessert. This one is a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Esta receta me encanta es una delicia,abrazos y abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  7. my goodness they do look delectable, I love sweet dumplings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Least pretty? I think it looks awesome! Especially where the ice cream melts into the dumpling... my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wizzy,
    I hope you're having a better week, and I know good karma is on it's way to you. OKAY SERIOUSLY! I want to rush out and make those pronto. With a big scoop of Dulce de Leche, just like the doctor ordered. Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never made or even eaten an apple dumpling in my life, and now that seems like a grave mistake. As soon as I have power and a running oven again, I'm determined to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete