Sunday, April 7, 2013

It's no big deal, Lemon curd (Microwave Version)



A spoonful of lemon curd over my breakfast makes my medicine oatmeal go down in the most delightful way! To really appreciate how HUGE a deal that is for me I direct your attention to this.

Those of you who make curd on the stove top know that it involves stirring, stirring, stirring AND stirring over a low heat until the thing thickens. It's a tedious process during which my mind wanders. I start thinking about socks and laundry, I make the grocery list in my head.  I wonder.....dagnabbit will this thing be done in time for the next episode of Game of Thrones? I look down......

Gah! I have scrambled eggs. Not cool.

Today you are gonna want to high five-me.

If we aren't already friends, you are going to want to be my friend.

Hello friends! I have an easy peasy lemon curd recipe for you. It seriously is no big deal to make this. No scrambled eggs, I promise.

The hardest part is keeping the spoon out of your mouth between stirs.  

FYI, you might not want to do that as I have it on good authority that hot lemon curd burns like a motha!

That’s real.

Before this, I purchased lemon curd at the gourmet shop. An extravagance to be sure since this one little jar of curd costs a small fortune. But those days are behind me since I discovered this recipe.

The microwave has got to be the strangest invention of modern times. Almost everyone owns one of these giant, space-age looking heaters but few actually cook with it.

I am one of the few.  Until now....

now I cook curd, a lot of curd.

Please don't freak out.....it's just juice, eggs, sugar and butter stirred in the microwave.

You can totally do this.

And when you are done put a dollop over your porridge,

in your yogurt

or on your pancakes,

bake a lemon meringue pie

or just eat it straight from the spoon, cause yeah ..........that's not strange, not in the least, especially not in my home.





Lemon Curd ( Microwave )
yield 2 cups

1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (unsweetened)
3 eggs
1 tsp of lemon zest
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter (melted)
pinch salt

METHOD
Add sugar to lemon juice and taste. Add more sugar a tablespoon at at time until you are satisfied with the taste. Most recipes I have seen call for a cup of sugar so my using 1/2 cup should tell you that I like a fairly tart curd. Adjust sugar to your taste.

In a 4 cup sized glass measuring cup, melt butter and let it cool. To this, add the now sweetened lemon juice, and eggs. Mix well with a whisk.
Microwave on high for one minute.
Remove from microwave and whisk vigorously.
Repeat, microwaving for one minute at a time and whisking until it coats the back of a spoon. (depending on the microwave this will take 3-5 mins)

In my microwave the curd was done in 4 mins.

Spoon test: Dip a small spoon in the curd. Let it cool a bit and run your finger across the back of the spoon. If the curd holds the finger mark, it is done. If the custard flows and closes the mark then it needs to cook some more.

Once the curd is done transfer to a jar and store in your fridge.

Assuming you don't eat it all right away, it lasts 2 weeks.

COOK'S TIP
When I don't have lemons I use a reputable brand of unsweetened, from concentrate lemon juice.








26 comments:

  1. An interesting way of making lemon curd. It looks so smooth and luscious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon curd!!! How nice and interesting is your lemon curd made in the microwave... Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all things lemony....this looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Se ve irresistible me encanta muy muy rico,nunca lo he preparado en microhonda,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosita,
      Thank goodness for Google translate or I'd never be able to understand a word you say. Hugs to you too.

      Delete
  5. That looks lovely and smooth. And ouch, sorry to hear that you burned yourself on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only I would have seen this recipe a couple of months back...I gave a lot of thought to making lemon curd but I did not want to stir, stir, and stir some more. I would have been on this recipe in a heart beat.

    I am saving this recipe for next season. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    P.S. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Velva. It's nice to have you on board.

      Delete
  7. i have never made my own and always wanted to so glad to see a great recipe for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sneaky way to make lemon curd. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Amazingly simple! Can't wait to try this. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This microwave version saves time and I would love to try the microwave method, as stirring continuously on the gas stove and still getting scrambled eggs doesn't really sound cool. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ain't nothin' wrong with that! YUM!! Spoonfuls of sunshine comin' atchya from the microwave! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's crazy that lemon curd is SO expensive but not all that hard to make. i love a shortcut!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really!!!! With microwave? I have to admit that I buy Trader Joe's lemon curd. I am going to make this very soon! My son is a big lemon curd fan and we'll make it together after school. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks simple and yummy and I would totally put this on my oatmeal, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds amazing! Bookmarked this! Hope to try this soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Please do try it Gayle and let me know what you think.

      Delete
  17. This looks dangerously easy! Lemon curd is so good on scones or baked in bread. And the color of yours is gorgeously sunny... that would perk up my morning any day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't realize how easy lemon curd is t make! I will definitely be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being a curd lover, I'll just have to give t his a go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just in time for Girls' Night!
    I've done the stirring till I was almost numb...

    The finished product looks great!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete