Friday, February 12, 2010

All Heart, No Hassle Valentine's Day Breakfast

Heart Breakfast


You have heard it before. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating a healthy breakfast kicks starts your metabolism and helps you shed unwanted pounds. Eating a high fibre breakfast is also beneficial for people wanting to lower their cholesterol.

Despite my reading constantly about the importance of breakfast, I am one of those people who struggles with it. It is my least favourite meal and the one I most often skip. Most mornings, I'm quit content with only a cup of coffee or cocoa. Some mornings just a glass of water will do. You see, my metabolism actually rebels at being kicked started.

Healthy Heart sandwich

I am usually up before the crack of dawn to prepare myself for the day ahead. I have never been a morning person and obviously neither is my stomach as I feel physically ill if I eat anything before 10:00am. Definitely a late riser that stomach of mine - lucky bugger.

This year Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday and the kids will be sleeping over by my mother-in-law's. Whoo Hoo! I get to sleep late. By the time I wake up, I know my stomach will be in the mood for this simple yet delicious breakfast.

I suppose, I could celebrate Valentine's Day by preparing something that is a bit more extravagant. However, I am sure anyone with very young kids will agree that keeping meals low-key is always more enjoyable than something more elaborate which leaves you stressed.

heart sandwich


Here is an ingredient list for this easy open-faced sandwich. I don't expect that you'll be needing instructions, will you?
sliced bread (rye or whole wheat lightly toasted)
2 slices apple or pear
low-fat or non-fat cream cheese with onion and chives
lime or lemon juice (brush on fruit slices so that they don't turn brown)
strawberry, raspberry, blackcurrent , or my current favourite wild hibiscus preserves

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. My stomach is the same way. I feel nauseated by just the thought of food when I wake up. Well, at least you eat a bunch of fruit. I bet that sandwich is so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe great idea! It's so simple to prepare but big on reward :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me smiling. This is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect, simple and healthy, the best way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG,

    For a moment though, I thought you were talking about me with the whole breakfast thing. This is exactly who I am.
    On the other hand, I weigh 120 lbs and really do need to start taking your advice, not to skip breakfast!!! BTW, I love your cute Valentine sandwich, I think I shall make it tomorrow for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Hope you had wonderful Valentine's :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you assemble the apple slices into a heart! So clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love this. Perfect for valentine's day. I'm a breakfast eater, but a couple of hours after I get up. And it has to have yogurt and orange juice. Fruit. No sugar. (that's for later!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect breakfast for a breakfast non-lover! I'd love to have this to kick start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It may only be an open sandwich but it still looks beautiful and and tempting!

    ReplyDelete